Post Image

How to hire immigrants for jobs in Canada

January 7, 2022

By CIC News

Every year, Canadian employers fill hundreds of thousands of jobs with foreign workers.

If you want to hire foreign talent, the first step is to determine if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). A positive LMIA signals to the federal government that there is no Canadian available for the job, and you as the employer can hire the foreign worker without negatively impacting the Canadian labour market. Once you get the LMIA, the worker can then apply for a work permit. Work permits that require LMIAs fall under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

Sometimes the position gets categorized into Canada’s broader economic or cultural objectives. Employers hiring for these types of positions do not require an LMIA. These LMIA-exempt work permits fall under what is called the International Mobility Program (IMP).

In some cases, the foreign worker does not require a work permit. Work permit-exempt positions may include media, business visitors, athletes, and others who are working in Canada temporarily.

Get help with Canadian work permits

Who needs an LMIA?
Most Canadian employers need an LMIA before they can hire a foreign worker. You do not need an LMIA if one of the Canadian government’s LMIA exemption codes or work permit exemption codes applies to your situation. If you are still not sure, you can contact the International Mobility Workers Unit so long as you are hiring a foreign worker from a visa-exempt country who is not already in Canada.

How to apply for an LMIA
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is the federal department responsible for issuing LMIAs. The application process depends on what type of program you are hiring through. They are broken into four categories:

Once you get the LMIA, then your foreign employee can apply for a work permit to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Read more