Canada to invite 23,100 interested potential sponsors for Parents and Grandparents Program 2022
October 11, 2022
By CIC News |
Canada has just announced the application intake process for the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) 2022.
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will issue invitations to apply over the next two weeks to 23,100 interested potential sponsors. IRCC has said this figure is enough to achieve its goal of accepting up to 15,000 complete applications for sponsorship under the PGP 2022. Invitations will begin later this week.
IRCC will draw from those who expressed their interest in sponsoring their parents and grandparents in autumn 2020. IRCC says there are some 155,000 potential sponsors remaining in the pool. Back then, potential sponsors were given three weeks to indicate their interest by completing a form on IRCC’s website. IRCC then held a lottery and accepted some 10,000 applications for the PGP 2020. Last year, IRCC drew from the same pool to accept some 30,000 applications for the PGP 2021.
Eligibility for the PGP
You are eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents if:
- you completed an interest to sponsor form on IRCC’s website between 12 PM ET on October 13, 2020 and and 12 PM ET on November 3, 2020
- you are at least 18 years old
- you live in Canada
- you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
- you have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor (by demonstrating you meet the Minimum Necessary Income)
- The Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) is a key eligibility factor for the PGP. This proof of necessary income is only to be provided after interest in sponsorship has been expressed via the online form. However, applicants who are selected and invited to apply and who do not meet the minimum necessary income requirement will see their application refused.